Monday, April 8, 2013

Brussels Waffles


I promised my two loved ones that I was gonna make a Dutch Baby for Sunday breakfast but in the morning I was too lazy to do so..I then avoided mentioning about a dutch baby thing and offered to take them out to try a new place we'd never been to which both happily agreed and excited about where to go !

I thought I could get away with it but unfortunately, my hubby happened to remember of what I promised...then both started teasingly moaning about it and to shut them up before I went berserk, I compromised to make waffles for afternoon snack instead and a deal done !

With a lot of time in hand, I chose to make a proper Belgian waffle that calls for yeast and time to rest. There are two recipes from the search I liked which I couldn't decide which one I should ignore, so I ended up mixing them and make my own version..:) What a challenge !

The recipe ( inspired by here and here )

1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups lukewarm sparkling water
250 g AP flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
63 g milk powder
100 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 egg whites
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Whipped cream and strawberries to serve


Method :

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast with 1/4 cup of the water and sugar. In a large bowl, stir the flour with the salt. Whisk in the yeast mixture, milk powder, butter, egg yolk and vanilla until smooth.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold them into the batter and let stand for at least an hour.

Heat and grease a waffle maker. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into eash side of the maker and cook until the waffles are golden, 8 minutes, flip through at the half way. Transfer the waffles to the rack to cool a bit before dusting with the icing. Serve with lightly sweet whipped cream and strawberries. Repeat with the remaining batter.

































      

No comments: