Thursday, February 16, 2012

French Silk Pie

As I previously said in this post that I planned to make a french silk cake for Valentine's day. As a middle-aged woman ( it means I've planned to live not that long! lol) , I changed my mind in the last minute and made this instead.


Anyway, my decision came a bit late cuz the french silk filling was already done and with a guilty feeling of throwing it away, I then decided to make a pie version which I hadn't done it before and we ended up with two things to celebrate on Valentine's!!


Due to a lack of time, I opted for a digestive biscuit (graham cracker) crust instead of a proper pie crust to make things faster which I thought it didn't make any worse on the outcome...


Here is what I've done..


For the crust :


1-1/2 cups crushed digestive biscuits
6 tbsp melted butter




For the filling :


227 g ( a cup) butter, room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup cocoa powder
4 large eggs


For the topping :


1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Method :


1.  Make a crust by combine the two ingredients and spread it on 9'' pie plate and bake at 180c. for 8-10 minutes. Leave to cool completely.



2. Make the filling, cream the butter and sugar until very fluffy and well combined. Carefully blend in the cocoa and vanilla.  Beating at highest speed add one egg. Beat for about 2 minutes.  Repeat with each egg, beating very well after each addition. Whip until very fluffy.



3. Pour the filling into the cooled crust and let it set in the fridge for at least 4 hours ( I left it overnight )



4. Whip the cream, the icing and vanilla until the peak form. Spread on top of the pie and sprinkle with grated chocolate.
































No comments: