Friday, September 30, 2011

Marbled Pound Cake..Simply Delicious!!

Speaking of a pound cake, it's not difficult at all to find a recipe but I'm sure it's not that easy to get one you'd really like..at least it's the case for me ! Anyway, when I saw my daughter's friend eating a piece of marble pound cake the other day , it reminded me of one great recipe of pound cake I've found on this site and although,with a lot of times on giving it a try, yet none of them could make me pleased with the textures ( though,regardless of their taste! ).

Early on this week when I had time, I decided to make it again and this time , instead of using self-raising flour as I always do, I used the cake flour brought back from Bangkok as the original recipe calls for. And when I took the cake out of the oven, I knew somehow straight away that this cake would have a texture that I've been wanting! I sliced a cake once it cooled down and I was so right about its texture.. there it was!! BUT...unfortunately, the cake was underbaked and not cooked through at the bottom...so it found a way with my help to get into the bin a second later..lol

And it's not so me who would get this thing over with easily and without getting it sorted..so the second go was done and luckily, this time is a happy ending..indeed!!

The recipe

150 g cold unsalted butter
3/4 tsp salt
150 g caster sugar
150 g cake flour ( can use self raising but texture would be different )
2 tsp baking powder
100 g milk
3 large eggs ( cold )
2 tsp vanilla
2 rounded tbsp cocoa powder + 2 tsp sugar + boiling water for cocoa paste


Method :

1. Preheat the oven to 160 c. , Lightly grease a loaf tin and line with parchment papare. Sift the flour and baking powder together and set aside. Beat the butter with a paddle attachment on low-medium speed until softened , then increase the speed to high and gradually add the sugar, beat together until light and fluffy.

2. In a small bowl, beat the eggs with vanilla and pour into the butter mixture with the machine running on high speed, little at a time, stop the machine and scrape the batter down from time to time, make sure everything mixed and beated thoroughly before a new addition. Try not to let them become curdled cuz it will effect the texture for the final result.

3. Add the flour mixture and milk alternatively and mix until smooth. Divide 1/3 of the batter to a mixing bowl and fold in the cocoa paste, mix until incoperated.  Pour half of plain batter into the prepared tin, top with the cocoa batter and finish with the rest of the plain batter. Make a swirl with a thick toothpick or a cake checker. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean. Let cool in pan on a rack and turn out onto a rack. For the better result, wrap the cake and keep in the fridge/freezer for at least 4 hours before slicing.
























2 comments:

sana said...

ลายสวยมากๆเลยนะคะคุณก้อย

FoodEpix said...

Looks delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.