Monday, June 13, 2011

Oatmeal Mars Bars

To me, nothing is better than baking when it rains and makes me stuck in the house! Last Sunday is the case and these oatmeal bars were my choice..The original recipe is from Martha Stewart but I happened to see from this site that the recipe was tweaked which really attracted me..so I decided to do the same thing but instead of using milky way bars that couldn't be found in the supermarket where I shopped , I then opted for Mars bars which are similar...

Here is what I've done..

Ingredients :
  • 5 snack-size Mars bars
  • 1/4 cup whipping cream
  • 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 5 tbsp light brown sugar
  • 1/2 scant teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 142 g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Method :

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 8-by-8- inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line with a  sheet of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each short side. Put Mars bars and cream in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the bars are melted, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
  2. Stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and the salt in a large bowl. Blend in butter with a fork or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal; press half of mixture onto bottom of lined pan. Bake until just set and starting to color around edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes.
  3. Sprinkle crust with chocolate chips; drizzle with caramel mixture. Top with remaining crumb mixture. Bake until pale golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan before cutting into squares.













2 comments:

flour n eggs said...

When you say 5 snack-size Mars bars, do u mean the regular size bars or those smaller ones u buy in a bag?

pepsakoy said...

It's far too long to retrieve my memory what type I used...Try a small one first and if you think it's not enough then you can add it up..sorry for my inproper memory ! ( the original recipe may be more helpful though..)

Thanks anyway, for your visit and question..