Saturday, May 28, 2011

Buttermilk Pie

School summer break is coimg and we've planned to be away for most of the time..therefore, I need to check all stocks of my baking ingredients and try to use things that would reach their expiry date during my being away ! And buttermilk powder is the case..so I guess you would see recipes posted on my blog that call for it.

Buttermilk pie ( according to wikipedia ) is a traditional custard-like pie of the southern United States. The basic filling consists of a mixture of eggs, sugar, buttermilk, dry biscuit mix, and butter; variations on the recipe may include flavorings such as lemon zest. Buttermilk pies may be made with or without a crust. The liquid filling is poured into a pie pan (into a crust if one is used) and baked until the mixture sets. The pie may be eaten either while still warm from the oven or after being chilled.

This pie was what I intendedly search for and all recipes I've looked through are quite similar..and fortunately, it's very easy and quick to prepare the filling..making your own pie crust will take longer time to get it done than using a store-bought one but I reckon it's worth your effort !

Here is the recipe I ended up with..

Ingredients :

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup caster sugar
tablespoons AP flour
3 large eggs
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 unbaked 9-inch basic pie crust ( recipe here )
Method :
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk in the eggs, 1at a time. Stir in the buttermilk and melted butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the pie shell and bake until the top is lightly browned and the center sets, about 40-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Slice the pie into individual servings. 

















      

1 comment:

Anja said...

looks so delicious!! My mom in law loves buttermilk, will bake this pie for her ;) Thank you so much for posting!