Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Oatmeal Shortbread

I like this shortbread being versatile and super easy to make..you can have it as a breakfast which goes along well with yogurt or you can snack on it anytime you'd like !  I've found it on seriouseats  and simply couldn't resist giving it a try..

I broke half of the shortbread into crumbs to serve my husband along with some yogurt as a breakfast and cut the rest into bars..I've tried both versions and they were fantastic..perfectly sweet (for my standard ) , and chewy yet slightly crunchy ! To me, eating it alone or pair it with yogurt , either way is heaven  !!


Oatmeal Shortbread ( adapted from here )

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups rolled oats

2/3 scant cup brown sugar

1/4 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup raisin

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

ground cinnamon to sprinkle on top

Method :
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, and salt in a bowl. Use fingers or a wooden spoon to work the butter and vanilla into the oat mixture until crumbly and uniform.

2. Press into a buttered 9-inch square dish and bake 20-30 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool in the dish before cutting and serving or the shortbread will disintegrate into a pile of crumbs.







                      







No comments: