Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Kentucky Burgoo Stew

One of things I love about food blogs is that there are always new things that I can learn about..things that I have never heard or perceived before ..it kind of enlightens me and makes me thrilled and enjoy getting to know about something I am not aware of !

This stew is the case..when I saw it posted on simplyrecipes, I was really attracted by the photos..and having looked through the recipe and having done some search to know more about it, I was so determined to make the dish !

Typically, I mixed and matched 2 looking-good-to-me recipes to make my version and I served the stew along with southern buttermilk biscuits which I've found the recipe on recipezaars ...As for a verdict, given that I have no experience about it at any rate, I, therefore, couldn't say anything to judge it but from what I ( and the rest of family) tasted, it's really worth your (long) cooking time..Bon appetit !!

Burgoo Stew ( adapted from here  and here )

Ingredients


500 g  pork shank
a pound chuck beef
2 chicken whole legs
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, half inch sliced and quartered
2 celery ribs, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups beef broth
2 cups water
1 14.5-ounce can of chopped tomatoes
200 g frozen corn
250 g frozen lima beans 
Salt and pepper
3-5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Method :

Place the pork, beef and chicken in the chicken and beef stock in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 2 hours. Remove the meats and allow to cool. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken, and use two forks to tear the meats apart.

Return the shredded meats to the large stockpot, and add the bean, onion, celery, carrot, tomato, corn. Bring to simmer and reduce the heat and simmer gently for 3-4 hours. Add salt, pepper and the worcestershire sauce to taste. Served.
























No comments: