Thursday, April 29, 2010

Brownie Coffee Cake


More often than not, when I pay any of my friends a visit no matter what a purpose is, I would bake something to bring along and all of them are now aware of my signature habbit..and none of them would bother to prepare any sweet because they know that it will be organized by me!


Secret is that sometimes I run out of idea what to make, especially if a visit is not planned ahead.. Like today, I didn't know that we were going to my friend's house for dinner until I got her message last night tempting me with lists of my favorite food.. How could I say no to food, right?? So I simply accepted her offer.. then the next thing I did is thinking hard about what to bring along.. Gee..it was too late to come up with any idea when it's already passed my bed time and plus I had too much alcohol in my blood! So I ended up falling asleep without making any choice..


Anyway, after a nice sleep through the night, I managed to remember about this brownie cake recently posted by someone whom I adore her baking and cooking skill..I decided to give it a try and had my problem solved!


I did a quick search on google about it and I've found one recipe which is so similar to the one I opted for. Typically, I ended up mix and match the two recipes just to fit my taste and fondness..


Here is my version ( adapted from here and here )


1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
200 g dark chocolate ( 70% cocoa )
3/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1/2 scant cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips


Topping


1/2 cup plain flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnut
1/4 cup soften butter


1. Heat oven to 350. Butter a 8 inch springform pan.


2. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In a seperate bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla together until well blended.


3. Melt the butter and the dark chocolate using a double boiler meth until smooth. Remove from heat, let cool down for few minutes then whisk in the egg mixture until blended. Stir in sour cream. Fold in the flour mixture and mix until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spread batter into prepared pan.


4. Work all streusel ingredients with a fork until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over batter in pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin on wire rack for 5-10 minutes before unmolding and leave the cake cool to room temperature before slicing.













No comments: