Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sage and Garlic Focaccia

I made this focaccia to go along with my soup which turned out to be a great pair..you just dip the bread into a soup to get soaked like the way you do it with olive oil..ohhh fabulous !

Instead of making it plain, I chose sage and garlic to jazz the bread up..also added some wholewheat flour for health's sake and everything worked beautifully ! I used the leftover to make sandwich on the next day..even though it dried out a bit but it still tasted good !!

Note: this focaccia will be my second submission to YeastSpotting run by Susan of Wild Yeast for the week..
Ingredients :

1 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 heaped tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
1.5 tbsp olive oil
175 ml warm water
7 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Topping:

coarse sea salt
3 tbsp olive oil
a few sage leaves, roughly torn

Method:

1. Stir together the flours, yeast, salt, sugar, sage and garlic in a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and water then mix everything, using a dough hook to form a rough ball. Increase to medium speed and knead the dough for about 10 minutes. Turn the dough out onto working surface, knead by hands for another 5-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.

2. Place the dough into a greased bowl, turn over once to get it coated with oil,cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1.5 hours.

3. Turn the dough out onto a greased baking tray ( 11"*7")without punching it down. Then gradually spread the dough with your figfers out evenly over the tray. Cover and let it rise again for 45 minutes.

4. Preheat the oven to 200c. Dimple the dough with your fingertips ,make sure you press them down deep enough. Brush the dough with 2 tbsp olive oil, then sprinkle the sea salt over and decorate with sage. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool in the tray for 5 minutes before turning the bread out onto a wire rack to cool a bit more before served.



















































Sage and Garlic Focaccia on Foodista

10 comments:

Steph said...

I love focaccia! I haven't had it in ages though.. it hurts me every time I see my KA bounce around the counter and I'm just not skilled enough to knead with my hands

pepsakoy said...

Steph, you are quick ! lol

Thanks for your comment..yeah I know what/how you feel about KA.. what I've done is to make just little dough at a time, so my machine won't dance around the counter for the job..:) And I'm very fond of kneading a dough by hands ..that way I can know when the dough is ready and it's a good exercise ! You just need more practice to get better at it, my dear..

La Table De Nana said...

It is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful focaccia!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the people who said perfect and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This looks perfect!

Usha said...

Beautiful focaccia !

Anonymous said...

Love that focaccia! Sage and garlic sounds like a really good combination. This may go a long way to inspiring me to make focaccia again (been too long).
Thanks!
FP

Lori said...

That looks so delicious and warming.

oneordinaryday said...

Your focaccia looks perfect. I've been trying my hand at breads and am having no luck whatsoever. Great job here!
Michelle
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/