Thursday, January 22, 2009

Grapefruit Cake

The first time I acknowledged and tasted a grapefruit is just few years ago when I saw my mother-in-law have it as a part of her breakfast everyday during our visit in The UK.!! I guess it must be good somehow otherwise my healthy and still good-looking in-law wouldn't be bothered to do so..lol


To me, it's a cross between an orange and a pomelo ( both taste and texture)..and it took almost half of my life to realize how nice this fruit is and once tried, I undoubtedly like it !! When I saw the recipe in 'Taste' magazine, I then decided to give it a try without a second thought..


And my verdict ?? ...with a few ingredients to prepare plus a simple method to follow, the outcome is soo darn good and really worth a try !!


Ingredients:

250g butter, softened
11/3 cups caster sugar
4 organic eggs ( I used normal xl size eggs)
Finely grated zest 2 grapefruit
½ cup grapefruit juice
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder

Grapefruit icing

2 cups icing sugar
Grapefruit juice (about 1 grapefruit)
Candied peel, to decorate

Note : I added a pinch of salt into the batter and also used some vanilla extract to make the icing


Method:

1. Grease a 20cm fluted ring tin with butter and dust with flour or line your usual 20cm round tin with baking paper.

2. Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating between each egg. Fold in grapefruit zest and juice, then fold in sifted flour and baking powder.

3. Pour batter into prepared tin and bake at 180°C for about 1 hour, or until a skewer or knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from tin and cool on a rack.

4. For the icing, mix enough grapefruit juice into the icing sugar to form a spreading consistency. Spread icing onto cooled cake and decorate with candied peel.



Photobucket





Photobucket





Photobucket





Photobucket

2 comments:

Brilynn said...

I love citrus in cakes though I don't think I've done one with grapefruit, this looks great!

pepsakoy said...

Thanks, Brilynn, for your comment..the cake is so simple to make , yet lovely and tasty..